Monday, October 21, 2013

Renovation Portfolio: Small 1940's cottage, budget renovation (2009)

This house was purchased in 2009.  I found the house after a friend commented that they were looking for a renovation and commented that this house could not be saved from demolition.  I'm a bit like Nicole Curtis on Rehab Addict, I don't believe in tear downs... so I went to see this one for myself - and ended up putting in an offer.  It was in very bad shape, termite damage, leaky roof, no working kitchen or bathroom, no central heat and air.  I spent about $20,000 on renovations.  The house is currently rented out to some fabulous tenants.

BEFORE
AFTER

INTERIOR PHOTOS:  



BEFORE

AFTER


BEFORE:  no toilet, rumor has it the older lady here would use the tub as her toilet.  Crazy.  She was moved into a home and the city sold her house on the courthouse steps.

AFTER

BEFORE: dining room
AFTER:  built in banquette.  The walls to the living room, dining room and kitchen were removed to open the space in.  In lieu of a formal dining room, a built in banquette was created from custom cabinets.






BEFORE:  kitchen


AFTER:  Kitchen.  (cabinets and counters from the Restore)


1 comment:

Amanda Shrewsbury said...

Beautiful remodel. I am buying a similar home in Florida. It isn't in this bad of shape but definitely needs some love. Hopefully mine comes out as cute!